Sunday, June 6, 2010

THIRD ATTEMPT FOR THIS BLOG


This blog is long in coming........
I have had a computer glitch

Know the line
THREE TIMES AND OUT?
Well
this is my final try on this story

I must say
THANKS
to my family and friends
for your comments on last
night's blog

A PEEK AT SOME OF MY PHOTOS

The blog brought tears to two
therefore
 brought tears to my eyes
What a group we are!!!!!!!

The story that I am about to tell
started on Tuesday and finished on Wednesday

I find myself often thinking about my blog
Sometimes I know exactly what I am going
to do from a photo or of someplace 
I have been

This is good!!!!

Other times

I HAVE TO PUT MY THINKING CAP ON
and
this is what happened on Tuesday

I drove some 60 k or so to a city
where I go to get  my hair cut
Before starting my journey back home
I decided to take a drive down
Stanley Avenue
and take a photo of
the home where my
grandparents lived
and
where I lived as a child



This was the home of Jack and Lavina
My Dad and his sister happily lived here

Memories............

Grandpa had a wooden bowl way up high
in the pantry cupboard
My favourite candy was in the bowl
Red and white peppermint
Tasted like a candy cane

I would come over to Grandma's
sit at the large kitchen table
and

VOILA

a 'nappy' of
corn syrup
would be placed in front of me

YUP

YOU READ IT CORRECTLY
CORN SYRUP
it was soooooooooooo good!!!!



This was the home of
Ken and Gwen

My Dad had the home built next to my grandparents home
in 1939
A present to his bride

There was a path between the two houses
Out my front door
and
in their side door

ANOTHER MEMORY


We would go to Grandma's garden
break off a stem of ruhbarb
sprinke it with salt
and chomp down
YUM YUM



I then drove down to the end of the Ave.
As children we would put a penny on the track
and wait for the train to come by

I have been told that my Mom
would put my brother in the pram
and walk along this path to the footbridge
On she would go
 down Grand Avenue
over the 5th Street bridge
and along to Tecumshe Park where
she would cross another footbridge
then homeward bound down Stanley

Apparently she would
walk this walk every day

Joe's parents lived on Water Street
one street over from the Avenue
The Mother's would pass each other
in the park

We have all heard this saying before

IT'S A SMALL WORLD

Coming off memory lane



I'm now on my way home
I spot this

JOHNNY ON THE SPOT

Now
this would not be good for some people I know!!



I found this little family swimming in
a slip off the Snye

I wish I had had my long lens with me



It's hard to see but there must have been at least
25 white swans in the river
It was quite a beautiful site



I thought this was quite unique
A garden was planted between the
road and the river
Very pleasing to the eye as I drove along



Colourful chairs waiting patiently for the sun



My ride home



After supper we decided to walk the island
As you can see there are many wagons and carts
at the main dock
Cottage people load up their wagons and
off they go ..................



Sometime soon a fire will be glowing in this pit
Wonder if they'll have marshmallows?



Evening is upon us
Another good day



Busy traffic on the river
Do you see the little tug?
One pushing
One pulling


WEDNESDAY



It was a slow going pace for this sailboat
coming up river
with her main sail billowing in the breeze

THEN



ZOOM ZOOM
POWER POWER

FOLLOWED BY..........



This beauty



I came back in the cottage to this

Just warms the heart doesn't it!!!!!!!!

SWEET


5 comments:

  1. I didn't know you lived right next to your Grandmas!How wonderful that would've been...
    And would you just eat a bowl of corn syrup???
    SB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe and Di: Once again great pictures, especially old homesteads and the memories they bring.The older we get the more memories to share with olders. Casey and Mugan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog Di...my lunch time "at work" treat. So many moving pics and words. I love the corn syrup story. My dad's Aunt Kathleen lived where Tim's is located. My sister and I would stop on the way home from school..OFTEN..and we'd get the bowl of corn syrup AND a sugar cookie for our finger! We still had room for supper but what a sweet tooth I have. Could that be the source?
    :-) tt from the Tom St Sliver

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a wonderfu; place we live in. Thanks for your day. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photography has always been first class, now you are story telling too. Good for you Dianne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment.