Thursday, June 2, 2011

TREE HUGGER



A few weeks ago we decided to let
Bing experience the outside world

He was quite timid at first
but then got a taste of
the beautiful world out there
and liked it

The deal was
summers on Stag Island
would be spent outdoors
during the day
winters in Arizona
would be entirely
indoors



I took this shot through the window
Bing was checking everything out



Even sat under the bird feeder



Bing and his buddy were
on their way
down to the river



Lounging on the deck



Back down to the river




Hope he doesn't have a tick!



Yesterday afternoon the wind
was wild



Around dinner time I saw this 'Salty'
(Ocean going freighter)
movin' up the river
AND
I mean movin'


When the freighters 'travel' the river
they push the water
thus
causing the water to be sucked out

The faster they go and the bigger
they are the more the water
gets moved around



The water went out again



Here come the waves

When it was time for Bing
to come in for the evening
he was no where to be found

We kept going outside
and calling
Bing Bing Bing

NOTHING

Again and again we called

We left the outside lights on
We left the inside lights on
We were up in the night
We were awake during the night
We were up early this morning
We checked outside
calling
Bing Bing Bing

Nothing

By this time I was a mess
I thought maybe he was down by the river and got
caught in the swirling water
caused by the Salty
My mind was swirling

We had appointments in town
today so off in the boat we went
I held myself together until
we got home then the flood gates took over

When we came home
Joe went one way
I went another way

Bing Bing Bing

JOE HEARD HIS MEOW




There he is up in the tree
This is no small tree
IT IS A BIG BIG TREE
Bing is up at least 36 feet



Joe grabbed our ladder but of course it was not long enough



Gwendolyn and I stayed with Bing
while Joe went looking
for a bigger ladder



Bing changed his position
many times
trying to get enough
nerve to make his
way to the trunk of the tree



While I was sitting there I heard a lovely bird song
It was a soothing moment



A second ladder is brought in
Longer than the first but
still not long enough


This is the tree!!

We checked with the fire
department however
they would not come over
Thank goodness for
Sarnia Rental
Joe was now on a mission to pick
 up a 36 foot ladder



You can see Bing sitting on the limb
While Joe went to Sarnia
Gwendolyn and I camped out near the tree
I brought a lawn chair, my book
and a blanket to wrap around me
It was dang cold
I kept talking to Bing
and he would talk back
Gwendolyn was a trooper
she stayed right by my side



Up goes the ladder


A young fellow is helping us



So close .............

BUT



 Bing moved over to the narrow part of the limb
Now that was scary
We decided to leave him
for a bit
Came back about an hour later
Joe was now going to go up the ladder
I went looking for someone
to help me hold the ladder
Donna who has a cottage
in the grove rode her bike
back to 'the tree'
and the two of us did our job

WHEN JOE GOT TO THE TOP
OF THE LADDER
BING EASED HIMSELF
ALONG THE LIMB
UNTIL HE WAS WITHIN
AN ARM'S LENGTH
BING MOVED IN A BIT CLOSER
JOE SCRATCHED HIS HEAD
TALKED SOFTLY TO
HIM
AND BINGO
HE HAD HIM IN HIS ARMS

Down the ladder they came
Bing clinging to him



Once everyone settled
I looked over
and
there they were
two buddies side by side

Oh My
What a day

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU














9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! I wonder if Bing will ever climb another tree! Poor baby, up there all night and day...
    SB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy story! Crazy cat! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bing's great adventure! DB

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a harrowing experience! Thank God for good men, ladders and friends.
    The last picture says it all. Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a ladder. Remember that for next time. If there ever is a next time. We had a few sleepless nights with Bob when he got older staying out all night & he was an in & out cat. Good to hear everyone is safe & sound.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Georgette ( who now has Gwennie ) for a wee bitJune 3, 2011 at 1:08 PM

    OMG !!!!!!!!! Repeat after me : "Bing is an indoor cat no matter where we are !!!!" What an adventure. I was almost sick reading this except I knew it had a happy ending Dianne because of our conversation. I can imagine how you felt. Bing was gone for quite some time as well and then to end up in a 36' tree.Joe was very fortunate to have thought of Sarnia Rental as I don't think I would of and then to climb up there. I get goose bumps just thinking about it !! Thank you is right !! So scary !! So glad it ended happily :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Dianne what a time!!!! I know I would have been a wreck. Great shots. So glad you were all reunited. What beautiful shots you got. Poor Bing - did he go out the next day.

    p & c

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dianne, your story this morning certainly had my heart rate go up a notch or two! Glad for the happy ending! So, has Bing been out since that adventure? Hope you're having a quiet day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a story about Bing! Quite an adventure for you, Joe & the cat. Very glad all turned out well. That little guy was very high up in the tree!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment.